Friday, March 4, 2011

Twice Baked Potatoes with Cauliflower

Twice Baked Potatoes with Cauliflower
Serves 2

  • 2 large potatoes
  • 1 C. shredded mild cheddar
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 1/4 cup mayonnaise
  • 2 Tbsp butter
  • head of cauliflower
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 tsp onion powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp pepper


1. Preheat oven to 350°F

2. Wash potatoes and then rub them with olive oil and sprinkle a dash of salt and pepper (I like to have a lot of flavor on my potatoes skins). Wrap potatoes in aluminum foil and poke some holes in it. By poking holes, it allows the heat to really get in there and cook that potato. Bake potatoes for 1 hour and 15 minutes at 350°F.

3. Boil a pot of water for the cauliflower. Cook the cauliflower until tender and drain the water.

4.Take potatoes out of oven. Let them cool for 5 minutes then cut them  in half and scoop up the inside leaving the skin.

5. In a large mixing bowl, combine the remaining ingredients with the cauliflower and scooped out potatoes. Mix until well blended. You will might have some chunks of cauliflower but that is fine.

6. Turn oven to broil (by turning to broil, the potatoes will get a crispy top).  Spoon mixture back into potato halves and put an abundant amount in each half. You might have some extra mixture so you can choose to load up the potatoes for tonight or use it as a side dish for tomorrow's dinner.  Bake on broil for about 7 to 9 minutes.

On the lighter side,
I used fat free sour cream, lite mayonnaise and I Can't Believe it's not Butter. I thought the potatoes still had plenty of flavor even though I used these healthier choices.  Speaking of healthy, here's Brandon:

 Ah, we meet again, Internet.  While my first reaction was one of disgust; the meal is quite alright.  What ruined this review for me is the fact that I've had twice baked potatoes before without previously mentioned healthier choices.  But, after the first bite, it begins to sink in and become comfortable and you realize it's not all that bad.  Hey, a wife that cooks for me and wants me to be healthy....who could ask for more?  Well, maybe I could ask for a little more cheese.  I give this meal about 6.7 smacks.  It was good and creative but, in the end, I miss my cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment